Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Wait is Over


Miss Irelynn Rene Gulliver has made her arrival in this crazy world! As I mentioned before, my water broke on Monday night at 11:45pm - she didn't make her way out of the womb until 7:01pm on Tuesday night! She weighs 7lbs. 8oz and was about 20" long. She has strawberry blond hair and big blue eyes. She has my shaped face and hairline, but most of Rob's features. She is the perfect addition to our family. I couldn't ask for anything more!


Apparently when I read everything saying that the 2nd baby's labor/delivery would be over in half the time that it took the first one to arrive, I really got my hopes up! I never would have thought that I would be in labor for so long with her!


When we got to the hospital, I was dilated to 3-4cm and I only made it to 7cm by 4pm. When 6pm rolled around and they told me that I was still at 7cm, I told them that I would prefer to have an epidural because I was soooooo extremely exhausted. I didn't think that my body could handle going through the next 3cm. Our wonderful nurse, Lynne, gave me something through my IV that would take the edge off until the anesthesiologist could come in with the epidural. I barely made it through about 5-10 more contractions before the dr. came in with the goods... I sat on the edge of the bed with Lynne while Rob and I mom sat and watched for support. As soon as the dr. inserted the needle into my back, I had the most excruciating pain in my lower back. It was the worst pain that I had ever felt in my life. I thought that I was paralyzed and I wouldn't walk again. The dr. told me that he would be administering the epidural in 3 sessions, spread out over 15 minutes. He was able to get the first dose in and Lynne somehow was able to get me back down on the bed on my side.


The next thing I know, Lynne is telling me that I am making a guttural moan and my mom was saying that she has heard that noise before. Lynne threw on a pair of gloves and checked my cervix. I was fully dilated and Irelynn's head was very close to crowning. Pretty soon, I had a room full of doctors who I had never seen before and all of the women (plus Rob) who had come to support us. Dr. Stephanie kept telling me to breathe through the contractions, but I couldn't stop myself from pushing! Within 5-10 minutes, Irelynn was out of the womb.


I am still in shock/awe/amazement with the whole process! We have been so blessed to have a healthy pregnancy, delivery, and beautiful baby girl!

0 comments:

Watch out world, here I come!

This is so my life

This is so my life